FBoS Release No: 81, 2016
21st December 2016
The Industrial Production Index (IPI) is an economic indicator that measures production volume changes in the following industries; mining & quarrying, manufacturing, electricity and water.
The All Group Industrial ProductionIndex (IPI) stood at 114.9 for the September quarter of 2016.
Compared to the June quarter of 2016, a 5.2 percent increase was registered. The major movements recorded were as follows:
- Mining and Quarrying Index rose by 57.7 percent;
- Meat & Meat Products Index fell by 2.4 percent;
- Sugar Index rose by 75.5 percent;
- Non-Alcoholic Beverages and Cigarettes Index fell by 24.3 percent;
- Wearing Apparel Index rose by 0.8 percent; and
- Electricity Index fell by 3.6 percent.
- Compared to the September quarter of 2015 a 7.3 percent decline was registered in the All Group Index.
The All Group Index including sugar recorded an increase when compared to the June quarter of 2016 but a decline when compared with September quarter of 2015. Since sugar production is seasonal, most of the crushing is done in the latter half of the year. Given the significant weight for sugar in the index, an increase or decrease in its production volume is bound to impact the overall index.
IPI for December quarter of 2016 will be released in March 2017.