FBoS Release No: 35, 2016
18th July 2016
Fiji’s Earnings from Tourism indicate the spending of our international visitors.The figure is derived from an estimated average daily spend of visitors (per diem) and the total visitor days in Fiji.
- Fiji’s earnings from tourism stood at $340.9 million for the March quarter of 2016.
- Earnings fell by 16.6 percent ($68.0 million) when compared to the December quarter of 2015.
- Earnings was up by 9.7 percent ($30.2 million) when compared to the March quarter of 2015.
Australian visitors contributed $183.9 million or 53.9 percent of the earnings from tourism with $36.4 million or 10.7 percent attributed to New Zealand visitors.
Compared to the March quarter of 2015, the major changes in earnings recorded by country were as follows:
- Australia up by 8.9 percent ($15.1 million);
- New Zealand up by 11.7 percent ($3.8 million);
- United States of America up by 16.9 percent ($4.4 million) and
- Continental Europe up by 11.9 percent ($2.1 million).
These countries accounted for 79.3 percent of earnings in the March quarter of 2016, an increase of 0.5 percentage point when compared to March quarter of 2015.
Fiji’s Earnings from Tourism for the June quarter of 2016 will be released as soon as the disaggregated data becomes available.