FBoS Release No: 63, 2016
28th September 2016
Fiji’s Earnings from Tourism is an estimate of the amount spent by an international visitor. The figure is derived from an estimated average daily spend of visitors (per diem) and the total visitor days in Fiji.
- Fiji’s earnings from tourism stood at $374.2 million for the June quarter of 2016.
- Earnings went up by 9.8 percent ($33.3 million) when compared to the March quarter of 2016.
- Earnings fell by 1.0 percent ($3.6 million) when compared to the June quarter of 2015.
Compared to the June quarter of 2015, the major changes in earnings recorded by country were as follows:
- Australia up by 0.1 percent ($0.3 million) to $201.6 million contributing 53.9 percent to the total;
- New Zealand down by 2.2 percent ($1.3 million) to $59.1 million contributing 15.8 percent to the total;
- United States of America down by 0.7 percent ($0.2 million) to $30.3 million contributing 8.1 percent to the total and
- There were no changes recorded for Continental Europe.
These countries accounted for 82.4 percent of earnings in the June quarter of 2016, an increase of 0.5 percentage point when compared to the June quarter of 2015.
Fiji’s Earnings from Tourism for the September Quarter of 2016 will be released as soon as the disaggregated data becomes available.